30 September 2018
Duty Station: Almaty, Kazakhstan
Type of contract: Service Contract (SC)
Contract Duration: initially 1 year (with possibility of extension up to 3 years)
Grade: SB-3 Peg1 (UNESCO Almaty SC scale)
Annual salary: *404,722 KZT monthly (including 10% for pension and 5% for medical insurance)
(*subject to change in case of changes in UNESCO Almaty SC salary scale)
Only candidates entitled to work in Kazakhstan may apply for this post
Closing Date of Applications (midnight, local time): 30 September 2018
Under the direct supervision and functional authority of the Director of UNESCO Almaty Office and the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator, the incumbent shall provide support to the communication and outreach activities of the UNESCO Almaty Office, in particular within the implementation of the Project “Silk Roads Heritage Corridors in Afghanistan, Central Asia and Iran – International Dimension of the European Year of Cultural Heritage”, by supporting the coordination and implementation of the Communication and Visibility Plan of the Project (cf. Annexed to the Project Document).
In particular, the incumbent shall perform the following functions:
1. Contribute to the implementation of communication and outreach Project activities:
- Provide support in raising public awareness in the participating countries of the common heritage on the Silk Roads and culture’s contribution to sustainable development.
- Enable increased knowledge sharing and availability of data.
- Provide support in reaching out to specific target audiences to engage them in the Project activities.
- Provide assistance in giving visibility to UNESCO/EU partnership and the results of the Project under the Global Public Goods Challenges programme of the EU.
- Provide assistance in giving visibility to the European Year of Cultural Heritage.
3. Contribute to partnership and outreach development to advance UNESCO’s objectives. Enhance the visibility of the Project and activities by actively producing communication material on its results. Develop news and feature stories, videos, infographics and media kits and leverage social media for maximum visibility. Work in collaboration with other UNESCO Field Offices implementing the Project and the web development team at UNESCO Headquarter. Support joint communication and advocacy to promote, advocate and disseminate the work of the Office from the perspective of partnership development leading to resource mobilization. Propose communication ideas and produce inputs for resource mobilization so as to have the Project action generate complementary resources for the countries in Central Asia from bilateral and multilateral donors and the private sector. Leverage media partnerships and identify new media partners, including initiating and maintaining contacts with international media to enhance visibility and ensure global coverage. Mobilize UNESCO and EU partners for the various events conducted within the Project.
4. Produce monthly visibility reports to monitor web analytics, number of downloads and social media performance, keep updated distribution list of the Project, help to update information on the Almaty Office website, propose content and produce visual items.
5. Undertake any other tasks or assignments necessary for the successful implementation of the Project.
- Completed higher education degree in communication, media studies, journalism, public relations or another related field.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience in the field of communication and information, of which preferably 2 years acquired at international level working on outreach, visibility and communication.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Good negotiation and networking skills.
- Ability to adapt to changing circumstances and to overcome obstacles.
- Good IT, information, and knowledge management skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team and to provide quality and timely support and services.
- Flexibility to adjust work schedules and priorities; capacity to work effectively under pressure.
- Excellent computer skills; proficiency in the use of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.) and databases.
- Proven ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Excellent knowledge of English and Russian.
- Advanced university degree in communication, media studies, journalism or public relations or related fields.
- Experience in the UN System, European Union or an international organization.
- Demonstrated experience in international cooperation programmes.
- Experience in partnership building with UN Agencies, the private sector, civil society and NGOs.
- Knowledge of UNESCO’s programmes and approved priorities, familiarity with the work and general functioning of UNESCO, European Union and international organizations in the UN System.
- Familiarity with UN System or administrative operation of UN agencies.
- Excellent copy-editing and proofreading skills both in Russian and English.
- Knowledge of UNESCO rules related to publishing, administrative procedures, systems and standard practices.
- Knowledge of Intellectual Property Law.
- Good established relationships with Mass Media.
- Knowledge and understanding of Central Asian region.
- Knowledge of Kazakh.
- Knowledge of another UN language and other regional languages.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
- UNESCO's salaries are paid in local currency (Kazakh tenge).
- Other benefits include: 2.5 days annual leave for each completed month of service, 5% for medical insurance and 10% for pension plan are included into the monthly salary.
- Please note that UNESCO is a non-smoking Organization.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are requested to send their application, including a motivation letter in English and the completed OFFICIAL UNESCO CV FORM, indicating the "Project Communication Assistant" to UNESCO Representative to Cluster Office for Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan, 67 Tole bi street, 4th floor, 050000 Almaty, Kazakhstan or via e-mail: (almaty(at)unesco(dot)org) NOT LATER THAN 30 September 2018.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY PRE-SELECTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.
A WRITTEN EXAMINATION MAY BE USED IN THE EVALUATION OF CANDIDATES.
UNESCO DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS.